Pages

Wednesday 28 December 2011

A day without internet



Like zillions other on this planet, I have a smart phone and I make sure that I utilize as much of it as I can. I have been staying at home since 5th of Dec and by this time, my cell phone is certainly out of balance. About three days back my internet voucher expired. It was like a mini heart-attack for me! But I survived that because my mother’s phone had about 60MB of free internet usage (camouflaged angel!). Things have been pretty usual since then until this morning. I woke up in the morning and lying right where I had been the whole night, reached for my mommy’s mobile phone. Drowsily, I clicked on FACEBOOK and waited for the airtel network to make a connection via Mobile Office. Suddenly, I heard two consecutive beeps with the following two messages:

Packet data: Invalid packet data access point

Web: Unable to perform operation

It was horrifying!!

“All is well. All is well.” I consoled myself and went on with the day.

I pat myself for managing without internet for over 19 hours. But the moment I was idle, anxiety dawned upon me. It was 9.15 pm and I could not go out myself to get the recharge done on my number. I called Ravi (the shopkeeper at my hometown) but he didn’t have Vodafone vouchers. I called up a friend to get the recharge done for me (how desperate!) but it’s Tuesday and the market there is closed! Serendipity!


Ultimately, I sat down with my lappi on my lap and began writing this blog. I wondered if I received the e-mail that I have been waiting for since a few weeks or whether the semester results were out on www.du.ac.in. I longed to check out www.dublog.in for any updates and remove as well as block a person from my friend-list on Facebook urgently. I was even hopeful that Farhan Akhtar would reply to my tweets. And now when I am about to finish this entry, I long to post it on www.somya-singh.blogspot.com.


When I discovered the malfunctioning of the internet connection this morning, I thought, “A day without internet; well, how bad can that be?” Oh it’s worse than I imagined. Not all the time though. Save for the times I suffer from a fit of immense greed (not literally!). Long story short, for an addict like me it’s like gasping for air!


P.S. I finally got an internet connection after approximately 41 hours of wheezing and posted this entry about 3 hours later. 

2 comments:

  1. Very true somya. You have described the actual scenario which is created without the internet......:)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be copied in any form without the prior written permission of the author. All views published here are of the author and author alone. They are not meant to hurt the sentiments of any person living or dead. Copyright 2011 Somya Singh

Total Pageviews