Pages

Sunday 18 September 2011

Smile... because you should!

Few days back I was sitting with my friends in the college canteen when a ‘special’ girl came by.

“Hi, Himanshi.” She said.

“Hi. How are you?” said my friend, Himanshi.

“I am very happy today”, said the girl.

“Why?” asked Himanshi.

“Because I should be!” , said the extraordinary girl with a smile as bright as the rays of the sun falling on an ice-covered land. 


I consider her unique because of two reasons. The first one is that she’s slightly atypical. Despite that, she taught us all a wonderful lesson of life and that’s my second reason for calling her ‘special’.  She was happy because she should be and didn’t need any reason to keep herself smiling.  How often do we think of our lives in such a way? We always tend to seek happiness in almost anything and everything. And if, by chance, we miss out on something, we tend to forget everything else that we already have as well. I have seen so many people (including me) getting frustrated when they don’t get their appropriate size of a pair of shoes or their desired color of a particular brand of nail paint. Out of sheer depression, these tragedy Queens and Kings of all time eventually start cursing their fate and then begins their melodrama in both

 Bollywood ishhtyle…!!

Aisa mere saath hi kyun hota hai..?? :’(

Bhagwan mujhe kis paap ki sazaa de raha hai..???

Shayad ye chappal mere naseeb me nahi… :’(

Is se toh achha hota ke main paida hi nahi hui hoti/ hua hota..!!

And the modern hollywood style…

Shit man!

Oh Crap!

F*** man!


They even start questioning the existence of God (Now this is too much!) I am sure all of us have had the experience of delivering at least one of these monologues in a similar situation (and believe me, even Rakhi Sawant doesn’t match up to our brilliant acting skills!). But not once, have we cared to think about those people who don’t even have their feet to put on shoes or those suffering from starvation or a dreadful disease like polio or leprosy that doesn’t leave any room for nail paints in their lives. The little heartbreaks that we undergo in our daily lives are nothing as compared to the catastrophic lives of such people.


Unfortunately, even I belong to the category of mournful tragedy queens.  And since I do not practise it, probably, I do not have the right to preach the same. But there’s one thing that I certainly believe in- Life is beautiful and in fact, its beauty knows no bounds. And given that, life undoubtedly deserves reverence. Each life touches many other lives in plethora of  ways and every life does make a difference. However, an affirmative association requires an optimistic approach too.


Your silence pinches, smile spreads smiles
May it be for ever, flourishing to miles…


Ever since I heard these lines ( Courtesy, Mr. Sribatsa Mishra), I haven’t been able to take them out of my mind and I guess, I never will. Even though they weren’t composed for me, I strongly feel they are meant for me and everyone else on this earth. A smile is, unquestionably, the most unadulterated use of one’s lips ;) And there’s no harm in carrying out a sanctimonious undertaking. Hence, Smile and be happy…because you should! 



4 comments:

  1. i can't critic u,,,,all i can say is I really like it!!...keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no I can't...your work is way beyond what I can write...

    ReplyDelete
  3. u r being negative dude! I am not somebody u shud compare yourself with. Just keep on doing d good work.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be copied in any form without the prior written permission of the author. All views published here are of the author and author alone. They are not meant to hurt the sentiments of any person living or dead. Copyright 2011 Somya Singh

Total Pageviews