Pages

Saturday 12 November 2011

A Letter to Nelly Furtado…



Dear Nelly,


When despair envelops my mind, my spirits crash and the color of my face turns blue (from red), I take refuge under your song “All Good Things Come to an End”. Without a slightest doubt, your song is beautiful. But unfortunately, since June 2006, it has been misinterpreted my millions. Until this time, I belonged to that set too. All this while, my gloomy thoughts and your libretto were in complete harmony. Akin you, I monotonously wondered, “Why do all good things come to an end?” By no means did I endeavor to hunt for an answer and thus, I kept on sinking deeper and deeper inside a bottomless pit. A short time ago, however, I accidentally stumbled on a way out to your speculations. And now I finally have an answer to your million dollar question (that literally paid you well, a million dollars!) Here it goes...


To cut a long story short, all the good things in the world come to an end simply to make room for the better ones, my dear. As simple as that! You see, I recently read a book by Dr. Spencer Johnson called “Who Moved My Cheese?” In case you haven’t read this already, I’d suggest you to glance at it. The book highlights the importance of adapting oneself to ceaseless changes; the sooner the better. For when a chunk of your favorite “cheese” turns mossy or has been “removed”, you can always look out for a “new cheese” that outshines the former “cheese”. Using cheese as a metaphor for one’s desires, job, relationship, etc, Dr. Johnson delivers a simple yet profound message. Going by the same logic, when a good thing comes to an end, sooner or later, a better one always comes into sight. And the best part is, the best ones never end!


Here’s an instance to support my argument- I know of a friend who loved this guy madly that dumped her after 2 years of relationship. She lost all her hopes and kept wondering for about a year and a half “why did this happen to her?” Few years later, she met another guy who could finally teach her to love again and now she feels thankful that she underwent such a terrible heartbreak then only to meet a guy who truly respects her feelings. So, a good thing came to an end and a better one became apparent. I am also aware of a kind of love which is “the best of all” and so will never end. It’s the love that I am blessed to receive from my parents. Come what may, it will never end. I can bet your entire million dollars on it!


Nelly, I do not intend to criticize the lyrics of your song. It conveys optimism but indirectly and thus, people with brains often fail to notice the latent and the obvious. I merely aim at sharing this little message with you and any one who reads this letter. I hope that people like you and I, instead of retreating from a dark tunnel, will try to perceive the luminosity that lies at the end of it and move ahead.


Kind Regards,

A Newly Enlightened Soul.


3 comments:

  1. Honey, she never said it was impossible to answed 'Why do all good things come to an end?'. So the fact you found an answer (your own, to be precise) doesn't make anybody go wow.

    I'm sure she does have her own answer to that. What if she only wanted to make people reflect on why do all good things come to an end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam!

    First of all my interpretation of this song is one of all the many other interpretations. So, you're right, it's MY answer. There's also a possibility that she wanted us all to reflect on "why do all good things come to an end?" So, you're right again. Honestly, I had been pondering over this thought too and all I got was pessimism, more and more of it. And I guess, millions out there do the same, they simply keep wondering about that and in the process, derive lesser out of themselves and hence, out of their lives. I personally went WOW! over my answer [i hope you'll allow me to brag!;)] and that's because my answer reflected optimism(at least to me, it really did!) It made me think way beyond I was supposed to think and I did. Ultimately, this song is not a source of pessimism for me any more. And the reason I called it so earlier is precisely because I have heard many speaking of it in that way!

    Long story short, "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" There are many ways to interpret even a single line, this, my friend, is a song. You did it in your own way and I, in my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I strongly believe in "Everything happens for a reason" and so, I just don't wanna stay forlorn and wonder... Thus, in my book, if all good things have to end, no worries dude! Look! Hark! There comes a better one!!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be copied in any form without the prior written permission of the author. All views published here are of the author and author alone. They are not meant to hurt the sentiments of any person living or dead. Copyright 2011 Somya Singh

Total Pageviews