Pages

Sunday 4 September 2011

Getting to know my Doppelganger


The only bona fide element associated with any myth is that it is astonishingly amusing. The myth about the Doppelgangers is one such enchanting tale. It traces back its origin to the German soil. "Evil twin", "double walker", "ghostly double" etc. are the accepted connotations of this term. An encounter with one's  doppelganger was believed to be a bad omen for both, the person concerned and the doppelganger. There exist several instances to prove this, the famous ones being from the lives of Licoln, P.B. Shelly and Guy De Maupassant.
   
I first came across this word in one of the series of Vampire Diaries. Elena, the lead actress, has an evil twin called Katherine and the show perfectly justifies the myth. However, in the current scenario, the term "doppelganger" means simply a "twin" (not necessarily an evil one). I came through this term over and over again in another famous series called How I Met Your Mother. Here, the lead characters run into their doppelgangers and the chance meeting, instead of bringing a bad luck or death for them, proves to be delighting. As a matter of fact, they are always on a hunt for their doppelgangers. On the contrary, one of the articles on this topic suggested to "run for your life" if you meet your doppelganger.

 Interestingly, there was a very thought provoking one liner by Ted Mosby in the very same show-"EVENTUALLY, OVER TIME, WE BECOME OUR OWN DOPPELGANGERS." Any of these stories may not be true, any of these myths may fail to validate themselves, but what Ted said is and will always be authentic in all respects. We all  tend to evolve throughout our lives and in the process, become our own doppelgangers that are absolutely harmless to us.  When I think about myself five years ago, I get a picture of a little different person from me. The opinions that I held back then, the principles that I followed, the goals that I had in my mind, and the way I wanted to see myself five years from then seem so bizarre now. And five years from now, probably, I shall become a completely different person that may just happen to look like me (or may not, if i loose weight!) Whatever may be the case, I would never be afraid to acknowledge myself as a different person.

I am a doppelganger of my own self and my doppelganger would again be me(say, five years from now). The way I have led my life since last 5 years has made me what I am today and the manner in which I lead my life for the coming, say, five years will decide my doppelganger's traits. Even in my dreams, if i get to meet the old Somya, I would not run away for my life ( I can never be a bad omen for myself). I would rather look her in the eyes and smile. And I am sure, she'll smile at me too, despite of the fact that I am not what she wanted me to be but I am someone else that she might be proud of too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be copied in any form without the prior written permission of the author. All views published here are of the author and author alone. They are not meant to hurt the sentiments of any person living or dead. Copyright 2011 Somya Singh

Total Pageviews